TERMS AND CONDITIONS: By submitting your film (“Film”) to Toronto Smartphone Film Festival ("TSFF"), you accept and agree that you grant TSFF a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, screen, broadcast, and distribute the Film, as well as the unrestricted use of the Film for any purpose, without compensation to the provider of the Film.
8th Annual Edition: June 13-16, 2019
No Fee: Sunday, January 31, 2019, at 11:59 p.m. EST.
Early-Bird ($10): Sunday, February 24, 2019, at 11:59 p.m. EST.
Regular ($15): Sunday, March 17, 2019, at 11:59 p.m. EST.
Late ($20): Sunday,April 7, 2019, at 11:59 p.m. EST.
Rules and Regulations:
- Genre: No restrictions.
- Length: 10 minutes or less (with credits).
- Language: English subtitle is a must if films contain spoken language(s) other than English.
- Footage: Must be shot on smartphone(s) and/or tablet(s). Animation and graphically produced films must be created on smartphones/tablets using its app(s).
NOTE: DSLR, Mirrorless, Handycam Camcorders, Point-and-Shoot Cameras, GoPro and other similar devices ARE NOT PERMITTED.
- Audio: An external recording equipment may be used if necessary.
- 2-Part Raw Footage Proof (your film will be disqualified if not submitted):
a. At least 30-second raw footage (or more if requested) used in the final cut of the film, uncut and unedited for the full duration of 30 seconds or longer.
b. Behind-The-Scene (BTS) Photos/Vidoes of various scenes used in your film.
- Editing: No restrictions on editing software (does not need to be edited on smartphones/tablets).
- Archival Footage (if used in the final cut): Archival footage is permitted as an aid to develop a story and does not need to be shot on smartphones/tablets, as long as its copyrights are cleared before submitting. However, the archival footage will not be permitted for the full duration of the film if shot on devices other than smartphones/tablets.
- Copyrights: All copyright material(s) used in the final cut must be cleared by the Applicant before submitting. Any issue(s) that may arise due to infringement of copyrights is the Applicant’s sole responsibility. TSFF, Sponsors and its members are not responsible for any infringement of copyrights.
NOTE: All submissions are reviewed by TSFF's programming team and the award winners are selected by the jury panel assigned by TSFF. Any films that are viewable in public via YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, Website and et cetera will be automatically disqualified. However, Films participating in all other film festivals will not be restricted. Official selections will be notified and programmed to screen on one of three festival days and be given an opportunity to air on OMNI 2 (CH. 14) via Arirang Korea TV (our media sponsor). Finalists give Toronto Smartphone Film Festival the non-exclusive rights without payment to use, screen, broadcast, publish, distribute on all possible media platforms and for promotional purposes indefinitely. Films, filmmakers and actors from Quebec are excluded from submissions due to laws set in the province of Quebec.
Final Deadline: Sunday, April 7, 2019, at 11:59 p.m. EST.
Result Notification: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 (Date is subject to change).
Best Canadian Film (All Canadian Films are eligible)
Best International Film (All Non-Canadian Films are eligible)
Best Emerging Film (All GTA-based Emerging Artists with max. 3 short films are eligible)
Best Women in Film (All GTA-based Women Filmmakers are eligible)
TSFF Audience Choice (All films are eligible)
NOTE: The Applicant must choose eligible award categories when submitting. Award Titles and Prizes are subject to change. TSFF is not responsible for online transfer fees and/or shipping and handling fees of Award Prizes. Applicants are fully responsible for paying these fees.
1. Final Film (Submit via FilmFreeway)
2. Submission Form (Complete & Submit via FilmFreeway)
3. Short Biography of Director (Submit via FilmFreeway)
4. Synopsis of Film - max. 200 words (Submit via FilmFreeway)
5. 2-Part Raw Footage Proof (See Rules & Regulations and Submission Procedures)
6. Submission Period & Fees: No Fee; Early-Bird ($10); Regular ($15); Late ($20)
A. All Films submitted under these Terms must be submitted in accordance with the procedures herein. TSFF may, but is not required to, disqualify or reject any Film that is not submitted in this way.
B. To submit a Film for Festival consideration, the Applicant must:
1. Submit a film via FilmFreeway - Visit https://filmfreeway.com/festival/TorontoSmartphoneFilmFestival
NOTE: Title of Film, Name of Director, Duration, Country of Production, Name of Smartphone/Tablet must be printed clearly and consistently on all files submitted to TSFF.
2. To submit a Raw Footage Proof, the Applicant must:
Go to www.wetransfer.com - Add File - Type email@example.com in Friend’s email Box - Type in your personal email - State Subject Title: Raw Footage Proof and State in Message Box: Title of Film, Name of Director, Duration, Country of Production, Name of Smartphone/Tablet - Click Transfer
3. Pay the required fee as outlined:
a. Applicants must test their files and/or links thoroughly before submitting. If TSFF is unable to view the Film, TSFF will attempt, but is under no obligation, to contact the Applicant in order to obtain a replacement.
b. TSFF will not review multiple versions of a submitted Film. Only one version of the Film may be submitted. If multiple versions are submitted, TSFF will view only the version that was received first.
c. TSFF is under no obligation to contact the Applicant and/or to refund the submission fee should the Applicant not have adhered to rules, set out in Terms and Conditions.
d. TSFF does not confirm receipt of submissions. It is the Applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the submission procedure is complete and that the screener has been received by TSFF.
Toronto Smartphone Film Festival
1 Preston Place
Canada M4N 2T1
TEL: (416) 840-7015